Trivia: Halloween is short for "Hallows' Evening or Hallows Eve" which was the evening before the All Hallows' Day (Holy or Sacred Day). To ensure the conversion of all pagans, the Christian Church decided that All Saints' Day or Hallowmas (celebrated on November 1st) and All Souls' Day (celebrated on November 2nd) should overshadow or absorb all pagan holidays coming on or around 31st October.
History says that Halloween has a Celtic origin, however, today it is celebrated largely as a secular cultural festival where people from all religions and races come together as one. The most common Halloween activities include throwing and attending costume parties of friends and relatives, wearing the most bizarre costumes and my personal favorite trick-or-treating. Halloween has long been connected to scary stories and myths, hence one can always find scary Halloween sayings painted across every street in your block.
People also say that most of these sayings are inspired from all the various activities that people do on this day. October 31st is a day to get and make someone scared. So with no more waiting, have a look at the various Halloween quotes and sayings.
Halloween SayingsPixie, kobold, elf, and sprite,
All are on their rounds tonight;
In the wan moon's silver ray,
Thrives their helter-skelter play.
- Joel BentonWhen witches go riding, and black cats are seen/The moon laughs and whispers, 'tis near Halloween.
- 19th century Halloween PostcardDouble, double toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble.
- Shakespeare, "Macbeth"At first cock-crow the ghosts must go/Back to their quiet graves below.
- Theodosia GarrisonOne need not be a chamber to be haunted; One need not be a house; The brain has corridors surpassing Material place.
- Emily DickinsonIt's Halloween! It's Halloween! The moon is full and bright/And we shall see what can't be seen On any other night. Skeletons and ghosts and ghouls, Grinning goblins fighting duels/Werewolves rising from their tombs, Witches on their magic brooms/In masks and gown we haunt the street/And knock on doors for trick or treat/Tonight we are the king and queen, For oh tonight it's Halloween!
- Jack PrelutskyAs I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there/He wasn't there again today...Oh, how I wish he'd go away.
- Hughes MearnsThere are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin.
- Linus Van Pelt in The Great Pumpkin, Charlie BrownOn Hallowe'en the thing you must do/Is pretend that nothing can frighten you/And if somethin' scares you and you want to run/Just let on like it's Hallowe'en fun.
- 19th Century Halloween PostcardA grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on Halloween.
- Erma BombeckThe devil's voice is sweet to hear.
- Stephen KingMy candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open...
- Mary Shelley, FrankensteinDeep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
- Edgar Allan Poe, The RavenShadows of a thousand years rise again unseen,
Voices whisper in the trees, "Tonight is Halloween!"
- Dexter Kozen
Scary Phrases to Use
|The Great Pumpkin||Bat Wing Soup|
|It's Still Warm||Black Cat|
|The Great Pumpkin||Bat Wing Soup|
|The Big Kahuna of Fright||The Hunted|
|Master of Scaremonies||Jack-O'-Lantern|
|Step into the Graveyard||Taffy Apple|
|Become One of Us||Vampire|
|Wait for the Werewolf||Skeleton|
|I Want My Mummy!||Spooky|
|Practice Safe Hex!!||Potions|
|You Look so Boo-tiful!!||Spider Cider|
So these were some scary Halloween sayings, words and phrases which are inspired from all the Halloween decorations which have been an integral part of this festival since its origin. Nothing compares to the excitement of Halloween on a moon-lit night, so have a happy and a scary Halloween.