The following are some ideas and tips that can be incorporated as part of your reunion, regardless of whether it is an indoor or an outdoor event:
- Theme: You can consider having a special theme for the occasion. Possible options could be a retro, Hollywood, or traditional theme. Encourage family members to dress and accessorize in accordance with the chosen theme.
- Venue: You will have to choose a suitable venue for the reunion, while taking into consideration seasonal factors and the weather conditions. If you have a spacious home with a large backyard, it will serve the purpose and will also give the occasion a personal and homely touch.
- Games: A reunion is an occasion for everyone to get together to celebrate and have a good time. Have some entertaining party games which will ensure that everyone has a good time. You could try including charades, musical chairs, treasure hunts, truth or dare, and a host of other games. If you are having the reunion in the day, you could consider arranging for a few water balloon games. They can be thoroughly entertaining and great fun.
- Bonfire: If it's winter, then a nice big bonfire is the perfect way to keep warm. You could all sit in a circle around the bonfire and indulge in some storytelling sessions. It can be a nice way to go back in time to those old days and relive those golden memories.
- Family Tree: Another fun idea is to prepare a big family tree on some chart paper. Encourage each family member, right from the kids to the uncles, aunts, and grandparents to participate. That way you will not only learn a lot about your family history, but you will also ensure that no name gets left out of the family tree.
- Photos: Reminiscing over old childhood photographs is something that always manages to attract the most laughter and enjoyment. Encourage all your family members to bring along a bunch of childhood and present day photographs. Mix all the baby photos and have a contest where a prize is awarded to the person who recognizes the most people.
- Karaoke Night: If your family members share a liking for music, you can opt for renting a karaoke system for the evening. All you have to do is play the music tracks and sing along with the lyrics that show up on the screen.
- Dance: Make a special audio CD which includes all the popular dance songs. Covering all the hit dance numbers from Elvis to Enrique will ensure that both the young and the old hit the dance floor. Having a 'best family dancer' competition will definitely make things even more entertaining.
- Family Talent Hunt: Have a family talent hunt where family members come forward and showcase their individual talents. Award a prize to the person with the most unique talent. You can make this even better by awarding a 'special prankster trophy' (for example, a bunch of bananas) to the person who holds the distinction of having played the most hilarious prank as a child.
- Tree Plantation: Plant a sapling in your garden. The next time that you have a reunion, you will be amazed at the growth of the tree, and it will make you feel good inside.
So, the next time you think about having a reunion, be sure to include some of the activities mentioned above. It will go a long way in making the occasion all the more special and memorable.